December 27, 2020
A passion for trekking and getting lost in the wild is what makes you different from regular tourists who are merely looking for a hotel for a vacation.
If you are out for a completely refreshing, transformative experience by seeking to be in the presence of natural beauty, you must know about these 5 offbeat holiday spots in Tamil Nadu, especially if you do not have the time to go anywhere too far.
1. Kolli Hills: Kolli Malai or Hills is a range of mountains in the Eastern Ghats named after Kollipavai, a goddess of the hills. Head there to explore Kavala Caves, Magod Waterfalls, Syntheri Rock, Shivaji Fort and Anshi National Park. Rich farming activity is carried on to grow all kinds of fruits, millets, and spices.
2. Gudalur: Gudalur is 52 kms away from Ooty, nestled in the hilly Nilgiris where Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala intersect. The region has picturesque tea plantations sustaining the livelihoods of people living in the region.
3. Avalanche Lake: This is a lake surrounded by a rolling landscape with flowers like magnolias, orchids and rhododendrons blooming all around. Go for a walk nearby or indulge yourself in trout fishing.
4. Kotagiri: Kotagiri, literally the mountains of the Kotas, is a town located in the Nilgiris district. It is home to the members of the Kota tribe. It is great for trekking and enjoying the view of the tea estates dotting the skyline of the region.
5. Sholur: Sholur is the name given to a town that encompasses six beautiful small villages. Kamaraj Sagar Dam or Sandynalla reservoir is a popular tourist destination nearby. The lake nearby is visited by bird watchers.
So which destinations have you explored in Tamil Nadu? Which locations would you like to recommend to your fellow travelers and trekkers?